Explore what drives the way you communicate and develop communication strategies for successful communication in diverse settings.
Learn to interpret different varieties of English and avoid communication bias.
Communication with diverse audiences is necessary for many professions.
You may face communication barriers when talking to people with a different cultural background, who speak different varieties of English, or who don’t share your life experiences and professional practices.
On this course, you’ll learn how different values or expectations, and different varieties of English can pose challenges to effective communication.
You’ll learn to make conscious decisions about the way you use language in interpersonal interactions and how to communicate more effectively through a range of strategies.
What topics will you cover?
During this course you will cover the following subjects:
- Week 1: The role of culture and language in communication
- Week 2: Language and unconscious bias
- Week 3: Using English as a lingua franca with speakers from different linguistic backgrounds
- Week 4: Using language to establish interpersonal relationships
Who this course is suitable for
This course is designed for professionals looking to improve their ability to communicate across linguistic and cultural boundaries.
What you’ll achieve
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Describe the layers and facets of culture and of other possible influences on communication practices
- Assess which factors influence how they and others communicate
- Reflect critically on their own and others’ communicative behaviours to avoid unconscious bias
- Describe different varieties of English and reflect critically on their own position as an English speaker
- Apply a range of new strategies to establish rapport and achieve desired goals
- Explain how language can be used to build interpersonal relationships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their communicative repertoire
Who developed this course
University of Surrey
The University of Surrey is a global community of ideas and people, dedicated to life-changing education and research. Surrey empowers students for personal and professional success by providing exceptional teaching and practical learning.