Learn how to program inclusive, creative interfaces for disabled users while meeting legal accessibility requirements.
Discover how to program interfaces that work for disabled users
Accessibility is a requirement laid out by EU and UK government legislation.
All public websites and digital services must comply with WCAG 2.2 – guidance to those creating and serving digital content. The deadline for websites to meet this guidance is fast approaching.
On this course you’ll discover the issues that disabled users face when using creative technology, exploring how to follow accessibility guidance and compliance.
What topics will you cover?
- What issues impact disabled users using creative technology?
- How can interfaces be made more accessible for those with sight, hearing and cognitive impairments?
- What kinds of experiences do people with visual and hearing impairments have when using the internet, mobile devices and streaming services?
- What guidance is available for those attempting to make their websites and services more accessible?
- What forms of compliance are necessary when creating websites and services?
- How can you create customisable interfaces with clear navigation?
Who this course is suitable for
This course is for those interested in a career in user experience, who lack programming experience or knowledge of WCAG or accessibility requirements.
It would benefit people designing websites who want to know more about the issues disabled users face when using the internet, mobile devices, and streaming services.
What you’ll achieve
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to…
- Explore the issues that impact disabled users using creative technology
- Describe how interfaces can be made more accessible for those with visual, hearing and cognitive impairments
- Reflect on the kinds of experiences people with visual and hearing impairments have when using the internet, mobile devices and streaming services
- Engage with the guidance available for those attempting to make their websites and services more accessible
- Explore the forms of compliance necessary when creating websites and services
- Describe how you can create customisable interfaces with clear navigation
Who developed this course
UAL Creative Computing Institute
The UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) offers innovative new courses, research opportunities and a public platform to explore computer science and creative practice.